by Neil Murphy, SPS Athletic Administrator
Great local news! Sandwich High School’s Maggie Layo ’14 was presented with the Will McDonough/Boston Globe Athlete of the Year Award on June 22, 2014 at the Boston Globe Headquarters in Boston.
While there have been scholar-athletes recognized from the area recently, there has not been an Athlete of the Year Award recipient from the Cape and Islands in almost 20 years – the last winner was a young lady from Falmouth in 1996.
Maggie’s accomplishments and her awards over her four years at Sandwich High School are impressive.
- 4 year varsity starter in Field Hockey, Hockey, Lacrosse
- Captained all three teams her senior year
- 8-time ACL All-Star
- Sandwich HS all-time points leader in Ice Hockey
- Current Massachusetts single season assists leader in MIAA Hockey with 49 assist
- MIAA Shriners Coaches All-Star Hockey game MVP 2014
- Boston Globe All-Scholastic Field Hockey 2013
- Boston Herald All-Scholastic Field Hockey 2013
- Boston Globe All-Scholastic Ice Hockey 2014
- Boston Herald All Scholastic Ice Hockey 2014
- Never missed the post season with any SHS team in which she participated
- Cape Cod Storm State Champion Hockey 2013-14 (non-MIA)
- Cape Cod Storm National Champion Hockey 2014 (non-MIA)
The entire Sandwich Public Schools Community is so proud of Maggie – an accomplished athlete and scholar and a great person!
More from the Boston Globe