by John Williams, Instrumental Music Teacher – Sandwich Elementary Schools
It was a joy to lead so many of our students, from across all levels and all schools, as we celebrated the 375th Birthday of Sandwich. Many thanks to my colleague Elizabeth MacKenzie and all the parents who supported our efforts to be part of the Grand Parade.
Here are some Fun Facts about a Fun Program for Elementary students in Sandwich!
- Students learn to play band instruments – Flute, clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone and percussion. Students receive group lessons on their chosen instruments, and learn to play in an ensemble by participating in the school band(s).
- We have concert bands at every level from 4th grade through high school, as well as jazz bands for elementary, middle (STEM) and high school students. Our student musicians learn to perform in an ensemble setting, and are exposed to a variety of musical styles.
- The Sandwich Instrumental Music program is available to students beginning in grade 4.
- As students progress through the program they sometimes learn to play other instruments and some will switch instruments or even double on others as they get older, increasing the instrumentation at the middle and high school level to include low brass (tuba, baritone), other reeds (tenor and baritone sax, bass clarinet), percussion (timpani, xylophone) and even strings (bass and guitar).
- Bands present many concerts at school and in the community. Along with our typical school concerts in Winter and Spring, our students have played in the community at Heritage Museums and Gardens, at local nursing homes and businesses and have performed in Sandwich Village for Christmas in Sandwich.
- Our high school and middle school bands have received awards at national, state and regional festivals, most recently receiving an excellent rating at the Thrills and Trills music festival in New Hampshire.
- We participate in the annual Sandwich Little League opening day parade as well as the annual Memorial Day parade in Sandwich.
The Sandwich Public School is engaged in an effort to develop activities that provide “Something for Everyone!” Our extensive music offerings support that goal.