Get to Know Your High School Night is on Thursday, December 11 at 7:00 p.m. in the Sandwich High School Auditorium. This is an opportunity for students and their families to learn about their Hometown School and all it has to offer!
Topics will include:
- An Overview of the Transition to Sandwich High School – Gil Newton, Director of STEM Academy
- Ways Guidance Can Help – Kathy Lucas, Gr 9 Guidance Counselor
- Academics and Athletics at SHS – Dr. Ellin Booras, Principal & Neil Murphy, Athletics Administrator
The highlight of the evening will be presentations from current SHS students. Chris Dumas and his cadre of Senior Mentors and their Freshmen partners will describe the dynamic, fun and supportive Mentoring program. A discussion about “Life at SHS” will be led by the Student Leadership Team. The members of the SHS Leadership Team bring candor, insight, and contagious enthusiasm to their conversations about their school.
News About SHS – Academics
- SHS has added several 21st century offerings to its newly expanded Program of Studies among them Engineering, Mandarin, Debate, Broadcasting, and a wide array of technology courses.
- The Engineering program started in the STEM Academy, and the SPS Affiliation with Project Lead the Way, is continuing into Sandwich High School.
- All grade 9 and 10 courses will adopt the design model of Project Based Learning, an instructional design that has been highly successful in STEM Academy.
- SHS now offers 16 sections of Advanced Placement offerings and has been named to the AP Honor Roll for percentages of high scores and percentage of students enrolling in AP courses
- SHS has been named one of the top 500 High Schools in America by Newsweek.
News about SHS – Performing Arts, Athletics and More!
- SHS has doubled its performing arts offerings, including the widely celebrated Sandwich Soul show choir.
- SHS presents a play in the fall and in the spring – hundreds of students participate on or behind – or even above the stage! (The SHS Auditorium has a catwalk!)
- Sandwich High School Student Leadership team has earned national recognition.
- Students are deeply involved in all aspects of school life, and an impressive number of our graduates assume leadership roles in college.
- SHS consistently wins ACL Championships and outpaces other schools in the league in the number of sportsmanship awards earned each year. (Three Sportsmanship Awards over the past three years!)
- The Blue Knight Swim Team will be back in its home pool, newly restored. Read more here.
- Blue Knights Teams will be playing on a world-class sports complex, brought to Sandwich by a dedicated group community volunteers. Read more about the first game played on the new Capt. Gerald A DeConto Field and learn about the Sandwich Sports Complex Committee.
What’s Next? Further Opportunities to Learn About and Experience SHS
- We encourage current 8th grade students to shadow at SHS this semester.
- Current 7th grade students can shadow at SHS in the spring semester.
- Contact Kathy Lucas, 508-888-4900 x 5022 or email@example.com
- A Step-Up Day is being planned for the spring.
- Students will participate in SHS’s award-winning Freshman Orientation, including August Events at Camp Burgess. You can read about the Freshmen Orientation from the point of view of a student leader here and here. Dr. Booras relected on Freshman Orientation and shared her thoughts last August.
View or download the SHS Brochure for incoming students: freshman_brochure 2015 updated 11.4