Mr. Newton and Dr. Booras recently spoke with some STEM Academy students about their experiences with the STEM Academy electives… their thoughts and opinions might be helpful to student preparing to choose electives for next year. Electives are one of the distinctive features of the STEM Academy and additional choices are planned for next year. Seventh and eighth graders take elective subjects together, and all the teams are mixed together as well.
Middle school is a wonderful time for exploring new interests; our students in Sandwich are so lucky to be able to try out so many courses!
Here’s a link to the STEM Academy website with a description of the electives for 2015-2016.
- “I like history. It thought it would be fun to take the class.” – Jack Forrester
- “I always wanted to learn about ancient times. I’ve learned about different kinds of archeology.” – Victoria Gerrity
- “I wanted to know more about debating and how to argue the right way.” – Dylan Miller
- “I always argue with people and I want to get better and I’ve learned how to argue in a more effective way.” – Sam DeMasi
- “Debate is a fun class to argue about what you think. I learned there are different types of arguments to debate about.” – Bailey Woodill
PUZZLES, PATTERNS, AND PREDICTIONS
- “I thought it would be fun solving stuff about math, I’ve learned how to use puzzles to learn math.” – Ryder Schofield
- “I like to solve stuff and do puzzles. I learned different strategies and how to find patterns.” – Julia Hammond
My mom picked this class for me. IT has actually turned out be a lot of fun. I am learning new skills. I would definitely recommend it to the 6th graders especially if they like doing puzzles. My brain does not hurt everyday in here unless it is a really hard puzzle! – Catherine Burroughs, Class of 2020
I wanted a class that would help me in math. Because of this class, I see math in a different way. I am looking for patterns in the puzzles. I am learning new skills I love this I think differently now and see patterns in a different way. I would recommend it to other students. – Lucas Amorim, Class of 2020
This is a cool class. We do a lot. I am happy I am in the class – Gavin Glargllari, Class of 2020
I wanted to learn new skills and I like puzzles. We learn about Roman Numerals and how many times letters occur. I would definitely recommend this class to a 6th grader coming up to STEM. – Hayden Westmather, Class of 2020
I wanted a class that would combine math and learning ways to do math. I took Broadcasting last semester and both classes are great – Bridget Lopes, Class of 2020
- “I’m tech savvy. I always wanted to learn about computers in an advanced way. I really like what we’re doing.” – Tanner Craig
CULTIVATING OUR CREATIVE SELVES
- “It had the word creative in its description and I love to draw.” – Madison Brun
- “I thought it would be fun to be creative because I don’t have a lot of time. I’ve learned how to make a duct tape rose.” – Jackson Hagist
- “I thought it would be a good opportunity to try new activities. It helped me with my flaws. The teacher has helped me to become less aggressive and a better listener.” – Kyle Rider
- I like being on tv and I like being funny. This class gives me great preparation. I don’t say like and as anymore in my speeches – Angelo Migliore, Class of 2019
- I wanted to get better at public speaking. It is an important skill for getting a job. I am learning new skills. I don’t say like or as anymore either and I am learning to get ride of unnecessary words! I have learned so much on how to plan out a speech. I also like how the electives are made up of students from all four teams! – Robbie Haggerty, Class of 2019
- It is good to get up in front of people and talk. I have learned not to move my hands around when I am speaking! I like seeing my friends in the classes. I am recommending this class to my sister. – Brandon Kramer, Class of 2019
- I know I will need to be an effective speaker in future jobs and in life in general. I am learning new skills such as getting rid of like and as in my speaking. I have learned the importance of good eye contact. I would definitely recommend the class to a STEM student! – Evan Abrahamson, Class of 2019
- l really like learning new skills and I think what I am learning in this class is very important. I am now aware of the technical aspects of what makes a good speech! – Elizabeth Cheesman, Class of 2019
- This class sounded like fun and it is. I am learning how to write a news article, and how to dissect a news article. I would definitely recommend it to others. I am really happy I took it. – Maxine Bouvier, Class of 2019
- This class seemed so interesting. I am learning new skills. I just started this course and I already like it. – Abby Charbo, Class of 2019
- I really like this course. I took Broadcasting last semester and now I feel more aware of what I might like to do. My uncle is an author. I love news and I think about being n anchor on the news. I love the electives an being around lots of new people. – Mia Defelice, Class of 2019
- I am interested in news and current events and I am learning new skills. I took debate last semester and both these classes are great. – Katya Kasprzak, Class of 2019
- As the teacher in News to Me, I love it. It is a completely different experience teaching in STEM. The students are wonderful! – Maria Cahill- SHS, Class of 2010
Read about some of the opportunties for students in News to Me this fall.