by Dr. Ellin Booras, Principal – SHS
We are looking forward to meeting 8th grade students and their families at “Get to Know Your High School Night,” which has been scheduled for Thursday, November 12, 7:00 p.m. in the high school auditorium.
The evening will open with a performace by Sandwich Soul, our award-winning and very charismatic singing troupe.
Following Sandwich Soul, families will be presented with:
- Overview of Transition to Sandwich High School – Gil Newton, Director of STEM Academy
- Conversations about SHS – Chris Dumas, lead teacher for senior mentors and his senior mentors and current freshmen
- How can we help you? – Lynne Donahue and Kathy Lucas, Guidance
- Academics at SHS – Dr. Ellin Booras, Principal, SHS/STEM
- Athletics at SHS – Neil Murphy, Administrator Athletics
- Life at SHS – Student Leadership Team
In the mail, you received a copy of our brochure entitled, The Freshman Experience as well as our Sandwich High School Profile, which highlights our academic accomplishments, as well as a listing of where the most recent graduating Class of 2015 has been accepted into college. This class continued in the proud tradition of Sandwich High School of sending SHS grads to the top colleges in the country.
Our Freshman Orientation program is extensive and has received consistently positive feedback from parents and students for many years. Preparing the school for its incoming class is a rewarding and exciting process. Nowhere does Blue Knight Pride shine brighter than in the eyes of an incoming freshman.
We are honored to announce that our school has been selected as a Model School throughout New England for its senior / freshman mentoring program which is focused on enhanced personalization for incoming freshmen. We credit the mentoring program for excellent data in the areas of academic, social, civic, artistic and athletic transition to high school.
Freshman Orientation continues in August with events at Camp Burgess as well as another Open House here at Sandwich High School. You will all receive mailings. Be sure to keep checking our website as well!
Over the past several years, I have been selected by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges to serve as a co-chair of a variety of visiting committees. Together with a group of colleagues, I travel to high schools throughout the region to conduct a thorough review of all aspects of high school curriculum instruction, assessment, schedules, course offerings, and facilities to determine the status of a school’s accreditation. I can honestly say that Sandwich High School stands tall among the finest schools in the state. It is curious that public schools typically do not engage in systematic public relations, and therefore unfortunate that much of our great news is not shared beyond our current families. I wish to share some great news with you, the Class of 2020!
A quick overview of impressive data includes:
- 98% of our students consistently score advanced or proficient in the MCAS ELA, which is among the best in the state; 86 % consistently score advanced or proficient in Mathematics. 77% achieved proficient or above in Biology MCAS. All students have passed three MCAS tests at Sandwich High School, and have graduated on time with their peers.
- We exceed the state and national norms in SAT scores.
- Sandwich boasts the lowest drop out rate on Cape Cod and ranks among the lowest of schools throughout the nation (less that 1.1% and 0% for freshmen).
- SHS consistently wins ACL Championships and outpaces other schools in the league in the number of sportsmanship awards earned each year.
- We won the ACL overall sportsmanship award for the last four consecutive school years
- Sandwich High School Student Leadership team has earned national recognition.
- Students are deeply involved in all aspects of school life, and an impressive number of our graduates are selected and elected to assume leadership roles in college.
- Each year, hundreds of our students perform in fine and performing arts to rave reviews. Many have gone on to study at prestigious music, art and theater schools.
- We have added an additional music teacher affording SHS the opportunity to double its performing arts offerings while being the host school for the widely celebrated Sandwich Soul show choir
- We have increased our sections of AP offerings to include a record high number of 16 sections
- We have been named to the Advanced Placement Honor Roll for percentages of high scores and percentage of students enrolling in AP courses
- SHS has added several 21st century offerings to its newly expanded Program of Studies among them Engineering, Mandarin, Debate, Broadcasting, and a wide array of technology courses including the next steps for our STEM students in Project Lead the Way. All grade 9 and 10 courses will adopt the design model of Project Based Learning, an instructional design that has been highly successful in STEM Academy.
- We have been named one of the top 500 high schools in the country by Newsweek
Our greatest resources are our students and faculty, and the essence of Blue Knight Pride is manifested in the quality and sincerity of the teacher student relationships which flourish throughout the building. The feedback from our graduates is replete with praise for staff members who have found the balance of rigor and compassion with which to prepare our fine graduates for success at top ranked colleges and universities. Our Advanced Placement program has become known for its impact on collegiate success. Our AP program is open to all students as we support the national standard of equity and access
At Sandwich High School, our routines are informed by the research and guided by best practice. Our practices are focused on engaging students in critical and creative thinking, rigor and responsiveness. We want all of our students to develop the problem solving and communication skills and attitudes constantly engaged in defining and implementing new initiatives focused on ensuring our students a comprehensive technology rich 21st century education. The real story of SHS is told by our outstanding young ambassadors. On November 12, 2015, you will meet impressive young men and women who will describe the academic, artistic, athletic and social opportunities which define Sandwich High School. These members of the SHS Leadership Team bring candor, insight, and contagious enthusiasm to their conversations about their school. Student mentors will serve as your hosts and discussion leaders.
We strongly encourage families to bring their current grade 8 students to Get to Know your High School night! If you have any questions or concerns, or if you cannot join us that evening, do not hesitate to call my office at 508-888-4900 x 5005. We also encourage 8th grade students to arrange for a visit to shadow a SHS student in the fall and 7th grade students to arrange for a visit to shadow in the spring. Contact Freshman Guidance Counselor Lynn Donaghue @ 508-888-4900 ext. 5022, or email@example.com
Please know that all of us at Sandwich High School are excited about providing you with the opportunity to Get to Know Your High School. We hope to see you at 7:00 p.m. on November 12, 2015. Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!
Ellin Booras, Ed.D. – Principal, SHS/STEM Academy
Gil Newton – Director of STEM Academy
Lynn Donaghue – Grade 9 Counselor
Lauren Wentworth – STEM Counselor