Dr. Ellin Booras, principal of Sandwich High School, has mailed her annual Welcome Letter to incoming freshmen, full of information about events in August and early September.
Dear parents and students of the Class of 2020,
The administration, guidance staff, faculty, coaches, and club advisors of Sandwich High School would like to extend a warm welcome to you as members of our incoming freshman class! We have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you through your presence and involvement in the STEM Academy. We applaud the wonderful accomplishments that define your 8th grade year in STEM, and we thank you for the role you played in the widely celebrated success of the STEM Academy. Your core teachers speak so highly of you as do the high school teachers who were privileged to enjoy your presence in their electives. You have already set the stage for assured success in high school. We are so pleased to welcome you!
Stepping up from being a STEM Squire to a SHS Blue Knight is a big milestone. There are few milestones in life as momentous than starting a high school or a college career as a freshman. Each event is framed in new beginnings and defined by expanded opportunities. At Sandwich High School, you will begin the next phase of your journey in becoming the remarkable young person you are destined to be.
There are very exciting opportunities available to freshmen ….
- The Freshman Experience includes our award winning program of senior mentoring.
- Each of you will have a mentor from the senior class assigned to ease your transition, and to serve as your trusted guide.
- Our Freshman Experience has achieved local and regional recognition as we have been invited to present the concept of the Freshman Experience at the Showcase of Model Schools conference.
- Each of you will take a course in digital literacy as you receive a chrome book to use for the next four years.
- Each of you will enroll in a Project Lead the Way Engineering course, a continuation of the great work you did with Mr. Trimble last year.
- We have updated our Academic Opportunities to include honors US History and honors Biology, both available to freshmen.
- Each of you will have the opportunity to become fully engaged in the spirit and energy that characterizes Sandwich High School!
And you have so much to look forward to:
- We are expanding our Project Lead the Way courses to include a Civil Engineering and Architecture Pathway – and – a Biomedical Pathway
- We have opened up Advanced Placement courses to sophomores, junior, and seniors
- Our graduates are being accepted in the country’s most prestigious colleges and universities
- Many graduates are spending a semester studying in foreign countries.
- Feedback from our graduates continues to be very positive regarding how well they are prepared for post secondary opportunities when they leave us after graduation.
At Sandwich High School, we are fully committed to the belief that freshman year is the most important year of high school, and freshmen deserve the very best in terms of scheduling classes, and access to athletics, arts, and extra curricular. You will form lifelong friendships, discover your academic interests, and choose from over 160 courses in our Program of Studies as you progress to sophomore year.
- You begin your high school adventure at Camp Burgess on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 from 9:00- 3:00 p.m. Please make every effort to join us and to meet our student leaders who are eager to help you and to share their enthusiasm for Blue Knight Pride with you! Parent drop off and pick up is at the main entrance to Camp Burgess. Please wear sneakers and bring a lunch!
- Athletes should definitely plan on attending Camp Burgess as your coaches are not scheduling try outs or practices during this time. Fall sports night is August 30 at 6:00 p.m. in the SHS auditorium. Check the SHS website and twitter feed and the SHS Athletics twitter feed for up to date news all summer regarding registration, try outs, etc. Go Knights!
- Registration for fall sports is open online. Check the SHS website for the log in. You should register on line for fall sports. The deadline to register is August 16, 2016. On Monday, August 15 and Tuesday, August 16, 2016 each evening in the front lobby of SHS from 5-7 p.m., you can come to the school and drop off your payment and a copy of your current physical.
- All students are encouraged to join clubs and activities at Sandwich High School! You will need a Knight Pass to join clubs. The research is clear that students who are involved in clubs and sports do very well academically! The student activity fee is $80.00 and it is all inclusive. You can register for the Knight Pass on line.Once you have a Knight Pass, you can join as many clubs as you wish. Many students join 8-10 clubs and the fee covers all of them for the entire year. You can bring your payment to school on August 15 and Tuesday, August 16, 2016 each evening in the front lobby of SHS from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. and get your Knight Pass.
- The next step is Freshman Orientation night on Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 7pm. All members of the Class of 2020 and their parents are invited to attend the evening program. At this time, you will receive your schedules, lockers, and participate in building walks with the senior mentors and student leaders.
Welcome Class of 2020! We are truly excited to meet you, to support you, and to welcome you to SHS, the home of Blue Knight Pride! If you have any questions about Camp Burgess on August 30, 2016 or Freshman Orientation night on Thursday, September 1, 2016, please do not hesitate to reach out to Ellin Booras at firstname.lastname@example.org. or call at 508-888- 4900 ext. 5005. Thanks in advance for joining in these great activities.
The BKP community!